2014-04-23; 21:52 val.
Į pradžią Svetainės žemelapis El.paštas
Spausdinti
English

Neįgaliesiems

 
Į pradžią   

MARIJAMPOLĖS SAVIVALDYBĖ

 
 
 
Kontaktai (sąrašas) Teisės aktų paieška Paslaugos Renginiai
 
 
 







Naujienų prenumerata

Naujienos el. paštu

 RSS
klausimas_bot

 

Statistika nuo 2010-12-20
Iš viso apsilankė: 4249546
Šiandien apsilankė: 12385
Dabar naršo: 23


 
 
Where to go

Places to visit

1

We would like to start our walk with the central part of the old town - Jonas Basanavicius square. The village of Pasesupys was established here and mentioned for the first time in 1667 in historic sources. Then 24 homesteads stood around the square. In XVIII C. the Earl Mykolas Butleris reorganized the village into a trade town of Starapole. Craftsmen, trademen, and inkeepers soon settled down there. After a big fire in 1868, which destroyed a bigger part of the town, stone buildings of classical and neo-Baroque styles were erected. They were severely damaged in W W I and II. Later the old square was reconstructed; post office, shopping centre Gulbe, court, police and municipality buidings built.

2

Passing through the municipality building, the Javonis stream and Poetry park, we reach the Marijonu gymnasium (J.Bendoriaus str.7). The building is a solid brick structure reflecting earlier historical period. In the interwar years a historian and priest, Dr. Jonas Totoraitis worked at gymnasium and wrote The History of Suduva-Suvalkija.

3

On the right hand of J.Bendorius str. you can see the Monastery of Marijonai Monks of the St.George province of the Lithuanian Congregation built in classical forms, rectangular design. The Monastery preserves the paintings of the Countess Pranciska Sciukaite-Butleriene and the founder of Marijonai order Stanislovas Papcinskas. In 1999 the Seminary was opened and the wooden statue of the Blessed Archbishop Jurgis Matulevicius erected.

4

The Small Basilica, nearby the Marijonu monastery, (J.Bendorius str.1) was built in 1824 in a classical, neo-Baroque style with 2 towers and 3 naves. Altars, paintings of XVIII C., and chasubles are kept in the Small Basilica. The relic of the Blessed Archbishop Jurgis Matulaitis are buried in the St. Jesus Heart chapel, Vincentas Senkus, the general of Marijonai order, and rebels of 1831, are buried in the churchyard.

5

Next to the Small Basilica, a memorial tablet for the president Kazys Grinius is attached to a wooden house facade (Baznycios str.23). In this, XIX C. traditional wooden architecture house, museums of president Kazys Grinius and Vilkaviskis diocese are established.

6

Turning from Baznycios str. to P.Kriauciunas str. we will see St. Mary's Poor Sisters' Convent. This neo-classic form complex built in XIX-XX C. was recently renewed.

7

At the end of P.Kriauciunas str. there is a Vilkaviskis Diocese building reflecting modernism style, built in 1934 under the project of a famous architect Vytautas Landsbergis-Zemkalnis.

8

Walking down Vytautas the Great Park and having turned to P.Arminas str. we will find the town's old cemetery. The initiator of national revival Petras Arminas-Trupinelis, the Marijonu monks, Lithuanian soldiers-volunteers, the folk writer Zemaite, the defender of the independence of Lithuania Rimantas Juknevicius are buried there.

9

The victims of the Soviet regime were buried in the cemetery near Varpas str in 1944-1953. In the years of national revival the wooden roadside memorials were erected in that place and the Peace Park established.


10

In the valley of the Sesupe river 5090 Jewish and people of other nationalities were killed in 1941 by Nazi forces.

11

Turning to Vytautas str. from the old cemetery, we will reach former Teachers' Seminary complex and a park.The buildings were built in neo-classic style in XIX-XX C. Now Marijampole College functions there.

12

St.Vincent Paulietis Church can be found at Vytauto str. 31a, a former Orthodox church, it was built in 1888. Its one tower is eclectic. When in 1944 it was closed, all the altars and paintings were destroyed. In 2000 the composition of the sculpture "Pieta" was installed (sculptor Julius Narusis).

13

A building of rectangular form with some elements of decoration adjacent to St.Vincent Paulietis Church (Vytauto str.25) is one of the oldest remaining buildings of original wooden architecture built in XIX C. On the other side of Vytautas str. there is a chapel of remembrance for the victims of Soviet KGB; and beside the P.Kriauciunas library - a monument to the writer Vincas Mykolaitis-Putinas (sculptor Alfonsas Ambraziunas).

14

At P.Butleriene str. an old Jewish Synagogue is located. Built in 1870, the Synagogue is eclectic in style with features peculiar to the historical period of architecture. It currently serves as the Education centre.

15

Behind J.Basanavicius square, on the left hand-side of Kaunas str. Rygiskiu Jono Gymnasium can be found (Kaunas str.5) built in classic style in 1870. Numerous figures important to Lithuania's history and culture studied there. A monument to the linguist Jonas Jablonskis was erected in 1992 (sculptor Aleksandravicius).

16

Next to the Gymnasium there is the Evangelic Lutheran Church at Kaunas str.11. Built from 1835 to 1841, in the period of Romanticism, it is a simple structure with a solitary tower. The vicar's house and the church were severely damaged during W W II.


17

In the eastern part of the town the Marijampole Railway station was built under the project of engineer Edmundas Frykas in 1923 (Stoties str.2). The station is an impressive example of modernist architecture. In the square of exiles, there is a stone monument painful exile to remember, built in 1996.

Photos by Romas Linionis


  

Paskutinis atnaujinimas: 2010-12-18 12:17:23
 


PRISIJUNGTI gyventojams
VIDEO transliacijos


SENIŪNAIČIŲ RINKIMAI 2014
INTERESANTŲ PRIĖMIMAS
PARANKINĖ INFORMACIJA
NAUJI AKTUALŪS TEISĖS AKTAI
VIEŠASIS SVARSTYMAS
EISMO TVARKARAŠČIAI
VIETOS BENDRUOMENIŲ SAVIVALDOS PROGRAMA

ES parama

Strateginiai planai

Bendrasis planas

Vandentvarka

Šilumos ūkis

Investuokite

Lietuvių kalba

Nuotraukų galerija  
Nuotraukų galerija



 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
   
  
 
  Marijampolės savivaldybės administracija
68307 Marijampolė, J.Basanavičiaus a. 1
Tel.: (8 343) 90 011, 90 003
El. p. administracija@marijampole.lt
Biudžetinė įstaiga
Juridinių asmenų registras
Įstaigos kodas 188769113
© 2012. Marijampolės savivaldybės administracija
Sukurta Europos Sąjungos lėšomis
Viršelyje J. Basanavičiaus aikštė. Nuotrauka K. Linkevičiaus